Job Number: 15612
Pay Rate: 75,000
Position: Assistant Executive Chef
Location: Kingston, NY
Salary: $75,000 - $80,000 BOE
Job Type: Full Time, Direct Hire
Scope of Job:
Summary of Position:
- Leadership: Establish yourself as a dependable management team leader in the kitchen and beyond the walls of the kitchen.
- Team Building: Understand the depth of skill and knowledge among the culinary management team. Hire, cross train, motivate and develop a high performing team, serving as coach/mentor and leading by example.
- Develop a Culture of Efficiency, High Standards & Excellence: Build relationships with staff, clients, vendors and service providers.
- Strive for Excellence: Get the team on board with the idea of building a top-notch Kitchen, committed to the highest standards of service, fine food, and the guest experience.
- Menu Innovation and Focus: Be enthusiastic about food and keep up with the latest food trends which should be reflective in an ever-changing menu.
Our upscale bar and restaurant in historic Kingston is seeking a highly motivated and talented Executive Chef. The Executive Chef has complete responsibility and accountability, alongside the Owner, for the day-to-day operation of the food department to take the operation to the highest levels of excellence. Working in concert and collaboration with the Owner, Management team and staff, the Assistant Executive Chef will aspire to provide guests with the best dining value in the market and consistently excellent food within the established cost guidelines. This position will be responsible for menu / recipe development and purchasing all food and supplies following established purchasing guidelines, and must work together with the Owner and General Manager to carry out the Food & Beverage philosophy / vision. The successful candidate must demonstrate values, integrity, excellent judgment and possess the calm demeanor of a true leader. The Executive Chef is passionate about the profession with vision and always errs on the side of quality, is humble and tough at the same time and able to work with and beneath the owner to meet the needs and standards of the restaurant. The Assistant Executive Chef will participate in the development of the menu and recipes along with Owner and Management team
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Executive Chef's responsibility to the profitability of the restaurant includes, but is not limited to:
- The Executive Chef will advocate sound food cost and inventory control, demonstrating honesty, integrity as well as leading by example.
- Prepares the weekly kitchen work schedules by Thursday of the week preceding.
- Engages in collaboration of menu / recipes in conjunction with the Owner and General Manager.
- Builds, nurtures, and maintains relationships with all staff, management team, distributors / purveyors
- Makes purchasing decisions (food, cleaning & paper goods supplies) for the department, assuring budgetary considerations.
- Acts as agent of the restaurant to food and supply vendors.
- Recommends / hires, trains, and develops all kitchen team associates.
- Enforces all policies of the operation, regarding kitchen associate performance.
- Evaluates all kitchen associates, according to established procedures, at established time periods.
- Provides input for the timely repair, maintenance, and upkeep of all kitchen equipment and/or mechanical systems.
- Supervises and participates in food preparation during meal periods and banquet events.
- Works with the General Manager and Owner to develop promotional ideas to increase sales.
- Reviews individual product sales, and revises menus seasonally or as needed.
- Conducts monthly (or more often as needed) inventories of food and supplies.
- Develops and implements new kitchen policies as required.
- Maintains clean and sanitary food preparation and storage areas at all times.
- Assures that all kitchen associates are trained in the specifics of sanitary food preparation.
- Adheres to all policies of the operation and trains/monitors the kitchen staff’s with set policies.
- Any and all other duties required to conduct the operation, as required by the GM or Owner.
- Maintain and cultivate a harmonious relationship between kitchen and Front of the House staff members.
- Perform any and all other duties assigned by Management team.
- Proper purchasing to effect "the highest possible quality at the lowest possible price."
- Control of storage areas to eliminate spoilage and theft.
- Training staff to follow house recipes to ensure portion control.
- Creative use of leftovers and by-products.
- Scheduling control to meet labor cost guidelines.
- Product quality to assist in meeting projected sales.
- Exceptional guest service skills
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Must be tech savvy, well versed in computers and e-mail and text communications.
- Engaged creative leader with a strong culinary vision who will drive food quality and consistency.
- Positive “can-do” skilled communicator, a professional with a personable demeanor and approachable manner – all are important pre-requisite qualities for the position.
- Graduate of an accredited Culinary School or Culinary Arts Program.
- Flexible and long hours sometimes required.
- Ability to stand stoop, bend, lift items weighing up to 50 pounds repetitively during entire shift
- Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays
- Minimum 3+ years of previous work experience in comparable position
- Serv Safe Certification and American Culinary Federation (ACF) Certified Executive Chef (CEC) certification preferred.