MON-SUN 9AM-3PM OR 1PM-9PM PER DIEM
SCOPE: The staff nurse assumes those duties assigned by the nursing supervisor including but not limited to maintenance of records, arranging and securing medical care for children, monitoring children's health needs, executing physician’s orders, assisting children in preventive health care and personal hygiene, caring for sick children, and assessing medical needs.
1. Oversees the medical and health care services in the absence of the R.N. Supervisor.
2. Conducts assessments, including: HIV risk assessments, intake assessments, and general first aid and triage activities.
3. Routinely screens for: substance abuse, developmental health, mental health and physical body checks for abuse.
4. Assesses children's physical conditions and refers for treatment as needed.
5. Provides routine management and training regarding chronic conditions, such as diabetes and asthma.
6. Provides training and health education including reproductive health education.
7. Supports and manages of the emotional/psychiatric needs of children.
8. Establishes treatment goals for children, utilizing historical and current available information in collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team.
9. Medication administration and management including reconciliation.
10. Maintaining medical supplies and equipment.
11. Assists in the maintenance of records.
12. Arranges for, coordinates, or directly escorts children to and from medical appointments.
13. Administers medications and executes physician’s orders.
14. Administers first aid and routine sick child care, and provides, physician ordered care.
15. Is sensitive to and supportive of the children’s cultural and ethnic heritage and values.
16. Follows the Agency program for preventive nursing care.
17. Incorporates Team recommendations in providing physical and personal health care to children.
18. In the absence of the Supervisor, acts as liaison between the Nursing Department, schools and community organizations as needed.
19. Confirms adequate nursing staff coverage hours.
20. Performs other medical department duties as assigned.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Nurse Supervisor
1. Must be an R.N. or L.P.N.
2. Must be First Aid, C.P.R. and A.E.D. Certified.
3. Valid New York State Driver's License with good driving record as determined by The Agency.
1. Relevant experience working with children.
2. Some psychiatric experience.
3. Must have three years nursing experience.