Schedule: Full Time, Monday - Friday
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Kingston, NY with some regional travel required
We are seeking a proactive individual for a well-established general contractor that has been in business for 37+ years. The Senior Estimator is to be responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely preparation of estimates for jobs to be bid and includes active participation and direction of purchasing, estimating and budgeting activities typical to the construction industry. Ability to demonstrate, read and evaluate architectural drawings and specifications as well as utilization of pertinent software is required. In this role, you may be involved in attending presentations and site visits to understand project conditions and restrictions. You will work in partnership with the Project Managers and Controller to plan each job prior to commencement to review GCs, procurement, long leads and logistics.
• Generating scope sheets, holding de-scope meetings with vendors, purchasing and awarding contracts
• Preparing subcontracts and purchase orders
• Managing overall bid lists and contract /purchasing data base files
• Assisting in negotiating corporate agreements with vendors / suppliers
• Support in preparation of monthly status reports
Estimating / Budgeting
• Effecting quantity take-offs from architectural and engineering plans
• Developing cost data bases and budgets for multiple projects
• Coordinating and managing on-site construction, cost engineering, subcontractor’s scope and administrative activities
• Directing review, tracking and distributing of shop drawings and submittals
• Tracking cost events, reviewing and preparing change orders
• Updating budgets
• Managing plan files
• Supervising and delegating to efficiently coordinate project work load
• Identifying, tracking and distributing RFIs
• Utilizing expertise to VE, when necessary
• Expanding subcontractor base for all trades
• Overseeing and training of estimating staff
• Attending presentations, when necessary
• Assisting team with RFPs
• A four-year degree in an accredited construction-related or engineering curriculum desired.
• A minimum of ten years of construction-related experience favored.
• Extensive knowledge of all trades a must: leveling, scope, schedule, areas of exposure, missed scope.
• Understanding of the essential job functions and responsibilities of a Director of Estimating necessary, including analysis and scope of MEP systems and components.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with others on a professional level a must.
• Strong organizational qualities and computer skills required.
• Ability to effectively multitask.
• Knowledge of Excel, MS Project, Word and construction software including scheduling and takeoff software. Understanding of Timberline / Sage estimating a plus.
Compensation: Senior level compensation package including benefits - commensurate with experience.